Sunday, May 26, 2013

Poverty as a Childhood Disease

This past Friday our group went to a small village of 35,000 people on a strip of land between a landfill and sewage treatment center.  This land and town is known as La Carpio where undocumented, impoverished Nicaraguans live.  We spent the day with a lovely woman named Gail who has devoted her life to bettering the lives of women and children in this area.  Gail created a Humanitarian Foundation through her own home which educates and supports the people of La Carpio.

I was very nervous as we drove through the streets of La Carpio, finally reaching our destination of a small school where Gail would give us a presentation describing what it is like for children to live in such conditions.  

"POVERTY AS A CHILDHOOD DISEASE"

She gave us an analogy of being sick and a child in poverty.  You feel stressed, depressed, emotional, and many other symptoms every day.  

Many children go without proper meals, clean clothes, a warm bed, a roof over their heads or fresh water. It was eye opening listening to Gail explain the extreme poverty that these children live in everyday, and it lit a spark in each of us, wanting to help out in any way possible.

The grandmothers of La Carpio met with us and told us their stories of immigrating, and their struggles living in La Carpio.  Although it is a tough place to live, they want to make it better for their children, grandchildren and future generations.  Due to the fact that La Carpio is a town of undocumented people, the government does not acknowledge them in any way or service such as trash removal etc...  So, the streets are full of trash because people will just throw their bags on the side of the road, making La Carpio a very dirty place.  The Grandmothers have created a movement which will hopefully educated the people of La Carpio on how to recycle, dispose of trash and keep their community clean.  Gail made a very good point during her lecture about how we associate poor people with being dirty people.  They do not want to be dirty but they do not have a choice.  They do not have running water to bathe, they do not have proper trash disposal... So many times, being dirty is not a choice... It's what children are born into, what they know, and what continues until someone breaks the cycle.

As educators we can help break the cycle of impoverished children by educating them, keeping them off the streets and ensuring that they have food to eat, clean clothes and know their potential.  Many women, children and teens in La Carpio feel stuck because all they've ever known is living in a tin hut, poor, hungry, tired and depressed.  Many men in La Carpio feel empowered and abuse their property, the women.  The humanitarian foundation is trying very hard to educate women and give them the opportunity to break away, feel strong, independent and worthy of a better life. 

After all of our education on La Carpio it was time to walk around the streets and meet the people in is community.  To my surprise, everyone was friendly, welcoming and interested in listening to what we had to say in regards to improving their community.  I met amazing children, one special needs boy in particular who completely melted my heart.  He lived in a small tin hut with plastic walls.  He emerged from the front of his home and immediately grabbed a girl named Christy.  He embraced our group with a bear hug and had a smile ear to ear.  I will never forget this little boy who must've been 5 years old or so.  He was just so happy to see us and we danced in the alley way with him for a few minutes which was magical.  Due to his disability he couldn't really speak but that didn't matter, his joy filled the air and I knew from that moment that I want to make a difference, use my resources and help children like him who need an advocate in education.  

Costa Rica is a catholic nation so sex education is not discussed or mentioned at all in schools, especially La Carpio.  Young girls are not educated at all on this topic and it is becoming a huge problem in their town for teenage pregnancy.  As we walked the streets we saw at least 15 young girls who were pregnant which sparked an interesting group conversation.  We wondered what healthcare was like for these undocumented people? Do they have proper medicine, healthcare and opportunities for immunizations etc..??? 

Spending the da in this town was completely shocking, eye opening and reflective. It was physically and emotionally draining, and left me extremely grateful and blessed for what I have.  A few of us though about how we spend excess money on clothes, shoes and materialistic things like phones, iPads etc.. And these people don't even have fresh running water, food or shelter for their families.  It's a rude awakening, but very important.  I a so glad I had the opportunity to witness La Carpio and I have a whole new outlook on life due to my experience. 

As a teacher, I will have children who will go to bed hungry, who will not have clean clothes or a roof over their head.  I need to take that into account at all times and help as much as a can. I will teach lessons on hygiene because a student may have never seen soap before.  I will teach lessons on self respect, and give my students opportunities to keep them off the streets.  I need to pay special attention to cues that a child is hungry, abused or without clean clothes.  

 I need to remember at all times that I was very, very fortunate to have a family and all of my belongings and that many people are not as fortunate, so giving back, donating and spending time with children such a those in La Carpio is not only rewarding for myself but imperative to those people as well.

During this trip I have felt so many emotions so far, this day in particular the most.  I know what I am doing with my life, I am educating the future, I am educating children who may not know what tomorrow will bring and I know I will make a difference.



No comments:

Post a Comment