Monday, May 27, 2013

First night in Monteverde

We made it!! After a long and bumpy bus ride on a winding road up the mountains we arrived to Santa Elena, Monteverde.  I had gotten very very sick this particular morning so I sat in the front of the bus hoping not to get sick, and it worked!!  It was dark and pouring rain as we shuffled off the bus in an unkown area. I would definitely say i was a but nervous for the unexplexed: a new family, a new neighborhood, would they like me? etc...

I left with a 13 year old girl who walked me home down a muddy road until we reached a sign that said "villa lodge". I remembered that my family mentioned they lived next to a hotel so I was relieved I didn't have to walk too far with by heavy bags.  As I approached the house I could hear many voices and dogs barking.... I am not a huge fan of dogs so I knew this would be a challenge for me, but I was ready!

The family welcomed me into their home with open arms which was a relief.  I have fears and anxiety about being alone, in a foreign country and in a strangers home but they made me feel right at home the moment I walked in.

This family has a young mother and boyfriend as well as six childre ranging from 8months to 16.  It is a mixed family in a rather small, basic home with 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom for the family to share, plus one extra bedroom for me. It will be a tough adjustment from my last home stay where I had my own private room and bathroom detached from the house, but I'm excited for this new adventure.

My mama Tica's name is Rebeca and papa Tico is Rene.  They are both avid runners and enjoy listening to music and spending time together.  I learned that Rene has two daughters (who attend the cloud forest school & speak English) and Rebeca has two daughters and a son who attend public school in Santa Elena & do not speak any English.  Together they have a sweet and adorable baby!! I wondered why the dads children go to private school while the Mom's children go to public school? 

I will be spending two weeks with this family so I really hope to form close bonds with them, communicate in Spanish and learn about their family values, Tico culture and fun facts about Monteverde!

No comments:

Post a Comment